Healthy, Homemade Popcorn
Making homemade popcorn is easy and totally worth it. Here’s how you do it.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 6 minutes
- Place preferred oil in a large pan and turn up to medium heat.
- When oil is heated, add popcorn kernels and tilt pan to spread around.
- Cover with lid. Allow to fry, occasionally shaking the pan around to redistribute.
- After a few minutes, you’ll hear the kernels popping. Keep shaking the pan intermittently.
- When the popping slows to one or two pops every 3-5 seconds, turn off the burner and move the pan to the other burner to cool it off. Watch carefully – popcorn can burn quickly. Better to undercook rather than overcook!
- Carefully vent the lid to allow the steam to escape. When it seems the popping’s finished, transfer to large bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.
This is a base recipe – add your favorite flavorings to make it totally yours. Some suggestions are:
- Sprinkle with sea salt, garlic powder and a dash of cayenne pepper – yum!
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar for a sweet treat
- One of my dear friends loves to add crumbled bacon to her popcorn, and I think that’s genius
- Try this Maple Coco-Butter Popcorn recipe for a yummy healthy twist