When a member of my family starts running a fever. . .
When I wake up with a headache. . .
When a little one is teething. . .
When someone starts sniffling and gets a runny nose. . .
When I stayed up too late working on blog posts. . .
When my son has growing pains. . .
When I feel extra tension in my neck and back. . .
Essentially, for every ailment in my household, there is one place I will turn to first. I will run, and not walk, to my set of Schuessler cell salts, also known as “tissue salts”. I’ll head to my laptop and do a search for “cell salts + [whatever ailment I’m wanting to alleviate]” and select the ones that seem to be the best fit.
And you know what? They work for our family. They are inexpensive. They don’t require a trip to the doctor’s office. They can be easily obtained at our local health grocer or online. What’s best of all? They’re safe for our whole family.
What are Cell Salts?
Cell salts were discovered byÂ Dr. Wilhelm Heinrich Schuessler, a German doctor, in the late 1800s. He discovered by studying the ash residue of human cells that there were 12 mineral salts in these cells. He theorized that many diseases and maladies were actually caused by mineral imbalances within the body (a lack of these necessary minerals), and that by administering these salts over a period of time, the body would be brought back into balance.
These 12 minerals are essential to our bodies. They are given in homeopathic form and work at the cellular level (“cell” salts). They are absorbed by your mucous membranes and not the digestive system, which is often faulty and has trouble with absorption.
Who Can Take Cell Salts?
Anyone can take tissue salts without fear of toxicity. They do not interfere with medication because they are absorbed at a cellular level and not a digestive level. They are safe for babies, children, pregnant and nursing mothers, adults, and the elderly. They are also safe for pets!
Cell salts are an easier way to navigate treating ailments than traditional homeopathy – which absolutely has its merits. Whereas there are many, many homeopathic formulations in existence, cell salts are kept to 12 basic salts and easier to memorize. (Although, there are 15 additional salts that were later discovered; here we are just sticking to the 12 original.)
How Do I Take Cell Salts?
Cell salts are generally taken 3-4 tablets, 4 times a day. The probability is much greater for success if you keep taking them frequently as suggested instead of sporadically.
For acute symptoms, you can take 1 tablet every few minutes or up to every hour. The good thing is, you can be very flexible depending on the situation.
Cell salts are generally taken in the 6X potency.
Please note: I am simply a mother who treats my family using cell salts. I cannot make diagnoses for you. I am not a medical professional and I can’t claim that cell salts heal diseases. I encourage you to research cell salts on your own. If you dig deep enough, there is a plethora of golden information on cell salts available at your fingertips.
What are the 12 Cell Salts?
Schuessler salts are numbered one to twelve, except there is a catch: in America, they are referenced with different numbers than they are in Europe! So if you are learning more about cell salts or ordering cell salts, make sure to verify the salt you are looking into – go by the name if you’re not certain. I’ll list the cell salts and their effects using the American system of numbering.
Cell salt indications seem to go on forever. There’s no way I could list them all here. This is just the tip of the iceberg. As I mentioned before, when I have a particular problem I will research “cell salts” and the name of the ailment I’m looking to help. That is easier for me than memorizing all their uses.
Edited to add: I found an online store with great prices: Cell Salts Tissue Salts World – be sure to check them out!
Let’s get started.
#1: Calc Fluor
Calcium Fluoride – the safe form of fluoride. Used for:
- Strengthening bones, skin, teeth. Tooth remineralization. Helpful for children prone to cavities. When given to children, helps teeth grow in straighter, widens palate. (Often taken for periods of 3-6 months.)
- Gum/dental pain. Teething, toothaches, sensitive teeth.
- Improving circulation.
- Expectorant for colds/coughs.
#2: Calc Phos
Calcium Phosphate. Used for:
- High calcium needs: growth spurts, broken bones. #1 remedy for osteoporosis. Tooth remineralization. Teething. (Rub onto the gums.) TMJ.
- Sore throat, difficulty swallowing.
- #1 remedy for feeling overwhelmed.
#3: Calc Sulph
Calcium Sulphate. Used for:
- Used by the liver in removal of wastes and toxins from the body.
- Skin health. Rashes, acne, boils & abscesses. Cradle cap, dry eczema.
- Used in early stages of colds.
- Ailments with yellow discharges.
#4: Ferr Phos
Iron Phosphate. Used for:
- First aid cell salt. Inflammation = redness, heat, pain, and swelling. Crush tablets and apply to cuts and scrapes to speed healing. Headache.
- Low-grade fevers. Use at the first sign of a cold/sore throat.
- Anemia. Good for low hemoglobin in pregnant women. Nosebleeds.
- Increasing oxygenation and circulation. (Given to race horses with amazing results!)
#5: Kali Mur
Potassium Chloride. Used for:
- Â Sinus infections. Clear mucous. Runny nose. Sore throats.
- Anxiety and nervousness. Mental confusion.
- Ear pressure/infection.
- White, flaky dandruff.
#6: Kali Phos
Potassium Phosphate. Used for:
- Â Energy.
- Weak memory. Improving learning and attention. Great for students. Brain and nerve tonic.
- Depression with no apparent cause.
- For those who are anxious or stressed. Calming.
#7: Kali Sulph
Potassium Sulphate. Used for:
- Â Detox support. Therefore, useful in skin conditions with yellow scaling. Psoriasis, dry scalp, oily skin.
- Stuffy nose, colds with yellow discharge.
- Hot flashes, stiff joints.
#8: Mag Phos
Magnesium Phosphate. Used for:
- Â Pain – anti spasmodic. Muscle cramps, menstrual cramps, pulled back, whiplash
- Tics and twitches. Hiccups.
- Spasmodic coughing (whooping cough)
- Nerve headaches.
- Writer’s cramp, carpal tunnel.
- Aiding magnesium absorption.
#9: Nat Mur
Sodium Chloride – salt! Used for:
- Balancing fluids. Edema, puffy eyes. Hayfever. Dry skin/nails.
- Major emotional grief remedy. PMS/Menopause symptoms.
- Hives after exertion
- Water retention, high blood pressure. Slow digestion with heartburn.
- #1 remedy for cold sores
#10: Nat Phos
Sodium Phosphate. Used for:
- Balancing acidity. Gout, stiffness/swelling.
- Kidney remedy, cystitis.
- Digestion: reflux, gas. Food allergies/sensitivities.
- Skin conditions. Hives.
- Worms. Grinding teeth, picking nose.
- Diabetes and low blood sugar
#11: Nat Sulph
Sodium Sulphate. Used for:
- Liver support, waste removal.
- Asthma – especially with yellow mucous.
- Nausea, thrush.
- Support for depression, gloom, fear.
Silica. Used for:
- Weakness, stamina. Grogginess in morning.
- Improving hair, skin, nails, connective tissue.
- Interestingly, #1 cell salt for premature babies, slowness in development.
- Picky, frail children.
- Babies vomit mother’s milk.
- Cleansing and eliminating waste.
- Lacking self confidence and courage.
- Remedy for bad effects from vaccinations in newborns and in pets.
A combination of all 12 cell salts. Good for generic use, but be sure to use individual salts to treat more specific problems. Helpful before and after workouts – these are electrolytes!
Are you intrigued? The first time I read all the indications I wanted to take every one of them. I made sure to purchase each one in large quantities (500 or 1000) because we have a large family. I continue to take them individually as needed and give them to my family as the occasion arrives, but I try to make sure and take Bioplasma a few times a day as a good, general supplement.
They have helped our family in too many ways to list. I take them with me every time we go on vacation. They are that valuable to me.
Peace, love, and cell salts,
P.S. You may also like: