Heartwarming Chili Recipe
Adapted from my mom’s original chili recipe. Enjoy with cornbread if you like.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 35 min
- Category: Soups & Stews
- 2 quarts prepared pinto beans, flavored the way you like them (bean “broth” included)
- 1 can tomato sauce, or 1/4 cup tomato powder
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar – here’s a link to a tutorial I wrote for The Humbled Homemaker
- 1 – 2 lbs cooked ground beef, seasoned to your tastes – we love grass-fed beef around here. The benefits are worth every extra penny you’ll spend!
- 2 minced garlic cloves or equivalent in garlic powder
- 1/2 onion, chopped – if you didn’t already add onion to your prepared beans
- 5 “shakes” of Tabasco sauce, or you can add 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper instead
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Combine all ingredients into a stew pot, or just leave in the crock pot if that’s where you originally cooked your beans.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for at least half an hour, stirring occasionally – the longer you simmer, the more flavorful it becomes.
- Ladle and serve.
We like to eat it with this sweet cornbread. Hubby and I will add several more dashes of Tabasco sauce to our bowls, and the kiddos like it just as it is.