Hello, my favorite readers. Time for another recipe. This one will be quick.
My mom makes the WORLD’S BEST CORNBREAD STUFFING. Mmm! So, in effect, at Christmas time, we were having turkey and dressing and all the fixins. (<— actual spelling) But what do you need for cornbread stuffing?
You may also like: Eggless Pumpkin Fritters & Maple Glaze
Exactly. Cornbread. The sweeter, the better, in my opinion.
Most cornbread calls for dairy and eggs, something our littles can’t have (yet). Therefore, this recipe was born. If you’re looking for a sweet cornbread – dairy & egg-free, give this one a try.
Â Sweet Cornbread – Dairy & Egg-Free
Makes one 8″ round pan of sweet cornbread.
- 1 cup masa harina (where to buy masa harina) – masa harina is cornmeal that has been treated with lime, making it a healthier choice. You can also use regular cornmeal!
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2/3 cup sucanat – or your preferred granulated sweetener (where to buy sucanat)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (where to buy aluminum-free baking powder)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (where to buy sea salt)
- 1 cup coconut milk (learn how to make your own fresh coconut milk here) – if you’re using canned coconut milk, dilute 50/50 with water due to its thickness
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and grease your round pan with coconut oil.
- Add the tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to your one cup of coconut milk. Stir, and set aside to add later.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sucanat, baking powder, and sea salt. Stir until well mixed.
- Using a pastry blender, blend the coconut oil well into the mixture.
As you know, there are no eggs in this recipe to act as a binder. Allow the cornbread to cool off a good deal before trying to get it out of the pan – you will have better luck keeping it together this way.
We think it’s delicious – let me know what you think. 🙂