Yesterday I wrote about an easy way to make acorn squash. Well, next time you make some, make double, and use the rest to make this acorn squash custard! I made this for my 7 year old’s birthday, and we all loved it.
- And there’s even an egg white-free option
- And dare I say it? Healthy for you too.
I’ll show you how to make it. Here goes!
Acorn Squash Custard (GAPS, Paleo)
- 2 cups acorn squash (learn how to bake acorn squash here) – it doesn’t have to be pureed yet, you can just scoop it out of the shell
- 4 eggs OR if leaving out the egg whites: 4 egg yolks and 1.5 tablespoons grass-fed gelatin blended in 1/3 cup water (instructions below)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter (or more coconut oil if dairy-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons raw, unfiltered honey or maple syrup
- mixing bowl
- immersion blender – my favorite kitchen tool these days
- pie pan or large tart/quiche pan or 9″ square glass pan
This custard is very simple, really.
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- If you are going to make this custard without egg whites (we leave them out due to allergies), then first whisk together the grass-fed gelatin powder with the water in a cup, and let sit for a minute to thicken or bloom. If you are using whole eggs, then no advance preparation is needed.
- Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl and blend well with an immersion blender. Pour into a greased pan (I use coconut oil) and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. When a toothpick inserted comes out clean, the custard is done. Allow to cool on a cooling rack for 20 minutes.
- When serving, drizzle raw honey or maple syrup over each slice. Yum!
The edges will likely brown and that’s fine.
This can be served warm, but I actually prefer it cold. It kind of reminds me of cheesecake.
This pairs very well with my “butterscotch” detox tea – which is a great coffee substitute.
Click the Pin It button to pin for later:
Hope you enjoy!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Hi!!! If you are interested in trying out more natural methods of hair care, and have been wondering about the "No Poo" way of treating your hair, I have a great resource to point you to. My friend Ashlee has written an ebook called The No Poo Method, and I am so happy to be able to share it with you! You can find out more about this awesome ebook, and you can get the pre-launch pricing using the code earlybird for the next 48 hours! Be sure to check it out here!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.