There are about 60 oils that are commonly used to stimulate hair growth and stop hair thinning. Finding the best oils for hair growth solutions for you can be a challenge and trial-and-error process.
Many of these, such as almond oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, and grapeseed oil, can be found listed as ingredients on hair growth formula labels. They are the most common as they are in plentiful supply.
Less expensive oils with antimicrobial properties that cleanse the scalp and treat hair loss, such as clary sage oil, cedarwood oil, and lavender oil, are also often listed on the labels of hair growth solutions.
However, are these oils the best for improving hair growth and treating scalp and hair?
This article includes a shortlist of the best four oils known to nourish hair, along with the big three essential oils that unplug hair follicles and increase blood circulation.
The result is a master list of 7 oils that you can mix and match together (four carrier oils and three essential oils) that can be used to create your own powerhouse formula to boost hair growth.
Which Oils Helps Hair Growth?
This list of the top four oils that promote hair growth contains fatty acids, which help repair damaged hair and grow hair fast.
These oils are gentle enough to be used directly on your scalp. The most popular way to use them is as a hair growth mask or scalp massage.
Any one of them can also be used as a carrier oil that can be blended with a few drops of essential oil to create a powerful treatment for a healthy scalp.
Argan oil is a natural plant oil from Morocco. Derived from the argan tree, its natural keratin content has promoted hair growth for centuries.
This exotic oil thickens each strand of hair. It contains omega-6 fatty acids to plump up hair strands and vitamin E, which reduces the scalp inflammation that causes hair loss. It can be used full-strength or mixed with a conditioner to treat frizzy hair and prevent hair breakage.
Argan Oil is light enough to apply sparingly to your hair as an all-day wear-in conditioner to tame, shape, and shine your locks.
Coconut oil has a unique lipid structure similar to the structure of human hair. This makes it ideal to be used by people with sensitive skin and scalp issues.
You get the most benefits if you comb raw melted coconut oil through your hair and leave it in for 15 minutes to half an hour. You can then shampoo it out. It acts as the ideal medium for mixing essential oils to create your own unique hair solution for promoting hair growth.
You can boost your hair’s shine by using it in its hardened state as a leave-in conditioner! Coconut oil is one of the best oils for hair health.
Castor oil is a soapy substance made from the seeds of the Castor bean plant. For centuries in Africa and Asia, it has been known as oil for hair growth.
Castor seed oil also has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and moisturizing properties that contribute to scalp health by clearing clogged follicles of impacted sebum.
If a dry scalp or scalp infection is causing your loss of hair, you can comb it through your scalp and hair and leave it on for 20-30 minutes twice a week. Faster hair growth and thick glossy hair will be the result.
If you have thinning hair because your hair follicles are shrinking or hair is breaking at the root, then castor oil is a good hair growth remedy.
Olive oil is one of the least expensive and common oils, made from olives grown in sunny parts of the world. You can use it topically or consume it to stimulate hair growth and add shine.
Oil from olives has an anti-inflammatory property that can help increase hair growth by healing follicles traumatized by coloring or bleaching and soothing the scalp.
It is rich in omega-6 fatty acids that are easily absorbed into the hair shaft to strengthen it and prevent hair breakage. It is highly recommended for treating sun-damaged or unruly hair.
The squalene and oleic acids in the olive oil help smooth hair cuticles and seal them, which helps plump up hair strands and make hair thicker.
Essential Oils for Hair Growth
This contains the best essential oils that encourage new hair growth by stimulating blood flow and clarifying the scalp.
However, before using any of these, you must do two things –
- Always dilute the essential oil in a carrier oil, with no more than two drops of oil for every ounce of carrier oil.
- After creating a diluted oil, do a skin patch test before applying it to your scalp and hair.
It can’t be emphasized enough that pure essential oils cannot be used undiluted on your skin and scalp as they can cause burns, irritation, and scarring.
That tingling sensation that you feel on your scalp is the menthol in peppermint essential oil, stimulating your hair follicles by bringing circulation to the surface of your scalp.
You can use any carrier oil for peppermint oil, but castor seed oil is probably the best, followed by coconut oil. Both oils work synergistically with peppermint oil to stimulate blood flow and promote scalp health.
Be aware that some people’s skin and scalp may be irritated by menthol, and if this is the case, try diluting it further or don’t use it all.
Rosemary essential oil is one of those hair oils that is slightly better for some hair types rather than others. This fragrant essential oil is generally used to add strength and luster to dark hair.
Rosemary is a known herbal anti-inflammatory that unclogs pores and improves circulation. It contains carnosic acid, which boosts hair growth by healing nerve endings in the scalp.
It may help treat hair loss caused by testosterone and other hormone imbalances. For best results, dilute this essential oil in a heavier medium such as argan oil.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree essential oil, which comes from a tree native to Australia, is a bit of a miracle oil that kills bacteria, fungus, and mites; all are culprits that can contribute to thin hair and hair loss.
This famous cure for dandruff and baldness tingles as it clarifies your hair follicles, clearing excess sebum that might be the cause of hormonal hair loss and scalp infections.
A few drops of tea tree oil in any of our top 4 carrier oils becomes an effective overnight mask to cleanse your scalp and increase hair growth.
Final Words of Advice to Improve Hair Growth
With these 4 recommended omega-6 rich hair growth oils and the 3 recommended essential oils for hair, you will see great results, but here are some other tips for growing a lush head of healthy hair.
- Pregnant individuals should not use castor oil, as it is also used to induce childbirth.
- If your hair is dry, don’t wet it before you saturate it with oil so that it can absorb the oils better.
- If you have oily hair or skin, only apply olive or coconut oil to your hair’s middle parts and tips.
- The high amounts of protein in coconut oil can block hair growth for people with a very dry or gnarly hair type and may dry it out even more.
- You can use oils of coconut or olive as an overnight hair shaft plumping treatment by massaging either through your hair or wrapping your hair in a towel and leaving it in overnight.
- Certain essential oils such as rosemary, chamomile, or lavender oil may discolor hair, so use these with caution.
- If you have very light blonde hair, consider using jojoba or almond oil as a carrier for the scalp cleansing oils.
- Healthy hair begins with healthy lifestyle habits, including eating right, getting plenty of exercise, and getting a full night’s sleep.
- Some oils are also known for increasing hair growth if consumed, including olive, coconut, and peppermint oils.
- Remember that peppermint, rosemary, and tea tree oils are toxic to pets and children, especially cats, who can experience a deadly reaction to accidental exposure.
- If you have photo-sensitive skin, avoid using citrus oils such as bergamot oil, which can cause sensitive scalps to burn if exposed to warmth or light.
- Always do a test before applying essential oils to prevent allergic reactions.
Remember that patience is a virtue when using the most natural remedies for hair thinning and baldness. It is essential to stick to a regular regimen of hair oil application to see results.