You want to know something funny?
One of my favorite snacks has always been sour gummy straws. You know, those sticky, mouth-puckering, strawberry-flavored straws coated in citric acid? The really healthy ones?
Oh, er. . . maybe they’re not so healthy. But that’s why this is such a fun tutorial.
Because – in my world anyway – dried kiwi tastes very, very similar to my old favorite snack. Except this version is much healthier. It’s just pure fruit, with no additives. This snack isÂ very kid-friendly, and very simple for mama to make. So come along, I’ll show you how to dehydrate kiwi!
How to Dehydrate Kiwi
- kiwi – as many as you would like to dehydrate at a time. I think the more, the merrier, but that’s just me.
- and that’s all!
- vegetable peeler – this y-shaped peeler works much better than the regular one, and it’s what I use for kiwi.
- dehydrator – this is the one I own, and I have never regretted owning it, not even for one second. Worth every penny to me.
- knife and cutting board
- airtight container or bag
- Peel the kiwi, and cut crosswise into slices. Â (See note below about trail mix.) I try to get my slices about 1/4″ – 3/8″ thick. Keep them as uniform as you can, for even drying.
- Place them on your dehydrator trays, and dehydrate at 130 – 140 degrees. The lower temp will take longer, but it’s really up to you. If your dehydrator doesn’t have a temperature setting, that’s okay! 🙂 Just dehydrate on low. Dry for 8-10 hours, or overnight.
You can tell they’re done when they feel dry to the touch, yet are still flexible. You can easily pop them off the mesh tray by bending the mesh into a tube.
If you’re going to add them to homemade trail mix, you can even cut the slices in half so they’re not too big for the trail mix.
Try not to eat them all at once. 🙂
Have tons of kiwi fun!
9 thoughts on “How to Dehydrate Kiwi”
Yum! I need to pull out my dehydrator more often. I always forget about it… which is quite sad.
I would love to make these though – what a great portable snack!
Absolutely! Great traveling snack. And I need to make these more often, too! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by! <3
I have the same dehydrator and I love to make kiwi chips too! It’s actually my favorite thing to dehydrate. One thing I do to make the job easier is to use an egg slicer. I peel the kiwi then just lay it on the egg slicer and it cuts the fruit into perfect slices. I use the one from Pampered Chef.
I’m enjoying looking through your blog!
Oh yay! I’m so glad you’re here! 🙂 Thank you, thank you for that tip – what a perfect way to get even slices! GENIUS!! 😀