One of our favorite meals as a family is roast, mixed with mashed potatoes, and my grandma’s special sauerkraut recipe.
We’re on the GAPS diet for now, which is a healing diet that limits sugar, grains, and starchy vegetables which = no potatoes. 🙁 Not even sweet potatoes.
While that is a bummer, when life hands you bummers you make do with whatcha got. Isn’t that how the saying goes? 😉
So today we had roast (2 of them actually – our children eat so much these days!), homemade, fermented sauerkraut – recipe coming soon – and a little mashed potato substitute.
You see, this mashed potatoes substitute tastes quite like the real thing and is very healthy for you too. I’d love to share it. It’s quicker than true mashed potatoes and you don’t even have to peel anything. Nice!
Let’s get started.
Easy Mashed Faux-tatoes
- 1 large head cauliflower or 2 small
- 2 tablespoons butter, ghee, duck fat, or tallow. You might could try bacon grease too.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional but nice)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the cauliflower florets off of the core. You can also chop the core if you wish, making your cauliflower go further.
If you’re on the GAPS diet, don’t use the core as it’s too fibrous.
- Boil the florets in a large pot on medium to high heat until very soft. I’ve found that the longer you boil it, the less of a cauliflower-y taste it leaves.
- Drain the cauliflower very well. Add the butter or whatever fat you’ve chosen (we love ghee), and add the crushed garlic.
- Blend with an immersion blender. That’s my new bestie right there. Blend until all the chunks are gone, as smooth as you like.
- Salt and pepper to taste. (Also add any other seasonings you desire.)
And you’re done! Easy peasy. Low-carb. Healthy goodness. Fun!
7 thoughts on “Easy Keto Mashed Potatoes Substitute”
If you add a tbs of heavy cream to the water, this help it be less cauli-flavoured. I mash mine with butter and a little soft cheese to make a topping for Shepherd's Pie – YUM!
Thank you so much for these tips! I bet the shepherd’s pie is awesome!
Can you mash without an immersion blender? I don't have one and was going to go traditional route of potato masher…