Here’s a quick recipe for you. This is a slice of birthday cake I made a while back, for my son who at the time couldn’t eat any dairy, eggs, or nuts. Since we’re on the GAPS diet for gut healing, it’s also grain-free and refined sugar-free.
I based it off of the recipe in the Internal Bliss cookbook and made only one minor adjustment to it – I replaced the egg it called for with applesauce. And I added a bit of salt, because I’m a rebel that way.
It turned out great! Here’s the recipe for you, in case you ever need a sweet treat free of many allergens.
GAPS Sunflower Seed Cake – Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Refined Sugar-Free
- 2 1/2 cups raw sunflower seeds, soaked overnight and still wet
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- high speed blender OR food processor
- greased 8×8 baking dish or round cake pan
- a silicone spatula is helpful for scraping and evening out
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients into blender or food processor, and blend well. It will form a thick dough, almost like a paste.
- Pour into your greased dish, and smooth out with the edge of the spatula. The cake will not really rise, so smooth it out as best you can.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
We didn’t add honey, but you could definitely drizzle some honey over the top of each slice before serving.
P.S. For more kitchen tips, healthy recipes, and ideas for a simpler, love-filled life, why don't you subscribe to my newsletter? No spam, ever. <3
And to be added to my Beautycounter newsletter, sign up here.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.