Here’s a quick recipe for you. This is a slice of birthday cake I made a while back, for my son who at the time couldn’t eat any dairy, eggs, or nuts. Since we’re on the GAPS diet for gut healing, it’s also grain-free and refined sugar-free.
I based it off of the recipe in the Internal Bliss cookbook and made only one minor adjustment to it – I replaced the egg it called for with applesauce. And I added a bit of salt, because I’m a rebel that way.
It turned out great! Here’s the recipe for you, in case you ever need a sweet treat free of many allergens.
GAPS Sunflower Seed Cake – Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Refined Sugar-Free
- 2 1/2 cups raw sunflower seeds, soaked overnight and still wet
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- high speed blender OR food processor
- greased 8×8 baking dish or round cake pan
- aÂ silicone spatula is helpful for scraping and evening out
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients into blender or food processor, and blend well. It will form a thick dough, almost like a paste.
- Pour into your greased dish, and smooth out with the edge of the spatula. The cake will not really rise, so smooth it out as best you can.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
We didn’t add honey, but you could definitely drizzle some honey over the top of each slice before serving.