You know, back when I started my blog in 2013, not a lot of information existed on the dangers of antiperspirants. I’m really so pleased that the word has spread and more and more are aware of the problems in commercial deodorant. Problems such as aluminum, parabens, etc.
Through the years, I would mix together ingredients like clay, baking soda, arrowroot, essential oils, etc, and make a homemade deodorant that suited me. I’ve never shared that recipe… I should probably share it. 🙂 I also feel like I have tried nearly every brand of “clean” deodorant out there. Most just couldn’t cut it for me and left me smelling like major B.O. Or, what’s worse, the baking soda left my underarms sensitive and irritated.
Anyway, this recipe is a little different than those, and much simpler. Did you know that magnesium is a great base for a deodorant? What’s more, it’s not as irritating to the delicate underarm skin as those baking soda-based deodorants. Here’s a recent Instagram post I made about my two favorite magnesium-based deodorants:
View this post on Instagram
Know what stinks? Antiperspirants that use aluminum. The aluminum may accumulate in breast tissue in women, which is a big problem. . Know what *really* stinks? Trying to find safer deodorants but finding they leave you… well, stinky. 🙈 I have been searching for an easy solution and I want to shout it from the rooftops: I found it!!! . Magnesium-based deodorant. My two favorites: Coconut Pineapple Sensitive Skin Formula by @schmidtsnaturals (found at my happy place, @tjmaxx – plus who doesnâ€™t want to smell like a piÃ±a colada?!) and the brand new Douglas Fir & Greek Orange Gentle Formula from @doterra . These two honestly leave me smelling fresh, even after a hard workout. I have to reapply throughout the day to freshen up, but I donâ€™t even care! No aluminum, no parabens, no artificial fragrance (which is AWFUL) etc etc, and I HONESTLY smell better now than I did when I used full-strength antiperspirants. Win!! . Have you found a deodorant that works for you? . . . . . . . . . . . #safeskincare #safebeauty #saferbeauty #saferskincare #skincaregoals #betterbeauty #beautygoals #lovelovething #cleanbeauty #beautycounter #nontoxic #beautybloggers #nontoxicbeauty #greenbeautyblogger #noparabens #noartificialfragrance #nopropyleneglycol #BeautyThings #beautyjunkie #bbloggers #skincarejunkie #beautyproducts #beautyguru #beautygram #greenbeauty #beautyaddict #beautycare #skincareblogger #makeupblogger #naturalskincare
Pssst…. are you following me on Instagram?
So these two deodorants mentioned in the Instagram post are two fantastic options you can choose from if you don’t want to make your own magnesium-based deodorant. I actually find the Schmidt’s Coconut Pineapple scent at my local TJ Maxx at a discount! So if you have a TJ Maxx nearby, be sure to check there first! They actually have some great healthier deodorant options. Yay! (Here’s a post I did on all the beauty finds TJ Maxx has that you can use to build your own beauty battle station/vanity!)
Okay, so back to the quick, easy homemade deodorant.
Homemade Magnesium-Based Deodorant Tutorial
This magnesium-based homemade deodorant is so simple, you could do it with 2 ingredients if you wanted. I just love adding in essential oils, so I have that option here too.
You will need:
- Some sort of roll-on container. This is what I used – it’s small but I like that I can carry it easily with me. You could also use something like this, which is bigger.
- Magnesium Oil – This is the one I use – I love this brand and find it to be high quality, but you could definitely search around and find which one looks best to you.
- Coconut oil – it can be Fractionated Coconut Oil like this or unrefined coconut oil. It just has to be in liquid state, so if your coconut oil is solid right now, just heat it slightly until it melts.
- Essential oils – since these are underarms we are talking about here, realize it involves very sensitive and delicate skin. We have many lymph nodes in our underarms and the skin readily absorbs what it comes into contact with. The point is, do not use cheap essential oils from Wal-Mart or something like that. Use only high-quality essential oils. I love and use doTERRA oils because of their high quality, but just make sure you are using oils that are the highest grade you can find. Otherwise, just leave them out.
- Pour the magnesium oil and fill up the bottle halfway.
- Fill up the rest of the bottle with the coconut oil.
- Add a few drops of essential oils for added antibacterial properties and for scent. Some suggestions: tea tree/melaleuca oil, lavender, lime, bergamot, jasmine, etc.
- Replace the rollerball and make sure it’s on tight. Gently swish the oils back and forth to blend.
Essentially, you’re making a 1:1 ratio of magnesium oil to coconut oil and adding in a few drops of essential oils as you wish.
Your quick and easy magnesium-based deodorant is ready to go!
If you are into healthy and non-toxic beauty products, you should really check out Beautycounter! While they don’t make deodorant (yet), they have the best skincare I have ever used and their makeup is triple screened for contaminants. All of their products are high-performing. Check out their stuff here! If you have any questions, reach out to me via the Beautycounter form or the contact form on my site.
Pin: Quick Easy Homemade Magnesium-Based Deodorant
P.S. You might also be interested in: